Saturday, January 22, 2011

Stenciling bird silhouettes on a soffit

So, I've been wanting to do some stenciling and painting.  I figure, why not in the nursery?  But what would be the subject matter? Sounds pretty artsy doesn't it?  Well, I've always liked silhouettes of birds so I thought, "Why not?"  I googled around and found some images of birds, cropped and enlarged with photoshop and printed them out and cut them up.



This was my stencil, actually, I redid it putting some packaging tape over the image and then cutting it out.  I was hoping that this would "water proof" it from the paint.

Next, I went ahead and taped up my "canvas" creating lines that would suggest phone lines.  Take note, that when I removed the tape after I painted I took of some of the base color with it.  Luckily I saved the empty can of grey paint so that I could touch up a bit.







Just to let you know, I painted over that curvy section to the right.  It ended up looking really cheesy.  Reminded me of an Italian restaurant decorated during the 80's.  Not a good look.  Once the lines were painted in I removed the tape before the white paint fully dried hoping that this would help in not removing the newly painted lines.  It kinda did and it kinda didn't.  Again, a little touch up and we were off to stenciliing.







So, my project for the day was completed.  Yeah, I was a little sidetracked but this is what I ended up with.  I was looking at it and I just don't know if I like it or not.  So, I texted my older brother (who just had a pretty darn handsome boy himself) and asked him if it was a little cheesy?  He replied back very diplomatically with, "I wouldn't say cheesy but it just doesn't fit a nursery theme."  Oh, and he even told me he had applied vinyl of the same theme and ended up tearing it all out.  He hit it on the head!  That's what it is.  I don't think it looks that great and I don't think that it fits.  Oh well, guess I'll sleep on it and look at it in the morning before I go ahead and paint over it.  Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. The stencils look great. i love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you didn't paint over it. It's lovely and definitely it is a soothing baby theme.

    ReplyDelete