Saturday, February 5, 2011

Scrap Material and the laundry hamper

So, to my three followers, thanks for following!  To all of my closeted readers, thank you, as well. 

You may recall that I made a crib skirt a while ago.  As a result of that project I had some left over fabric that was just begging to be used.  It could've made some pretty swanky shorts for myself but that is beyond my sewing abilities.  Mrs. K wanted a laundry hamper for the nursery for all the dookiness that is to come and we just happened to have one laying around in the laundry room buried under a pile of stuff with laundry laying all around not being utilized for anything other than another horizontal surface that stuff piles on top of, I of course had to use it for its intended purpose.  That was the longest sentence I've ever written.

This is what I started with:



I check to see if I had enough fabric to cover it.  I did, but just not in the correct shape.  Two pieces had to be joined down the middle to make a piece wide enough.  This posed a couple problems.  The first is that a seam down the middle is a sure sign of shoddy workmanship and secondly, the pattern on the fabric should line up um......seamlessly?  There was no way I was going to treck across town to the fabric store agan and spend the money on more fabric.  That would kinda defeat the purpose of utilizing scrap material, wouldn't it?  So, I decided to put that darn seam smack dab down the center.  I carefully lined up the material so that the pattern woven into it resembled some effort on my part to make it look nice and decided to use a "triple stitch."  What is a triple stitch you ask?  For those of you who have a leather interior in your car take a look at the stitching on the seats on the edges.  You may notice that there are three stitches.  One down the middle and one stitch on either sides of the center stitch.  Not only does this strengthen the seam but it sure does make it look purdy.

This is where I put the first stitch to the right of the center seam


This is the "triple stitch finished:



So, now I have a piece of fabric large enough to cover the hamper (Oh, I removed to the top of it so it would be easier to work with):




And about 500 staples later, I have a newly reupholstered hamper that matches our crib skirt:





I think that it needs to be painted white.

Oh, and those shelves I started earlier?  I have them corner beaded, and slathered in dry wall compound. I think I used like 3 gallons of compound so far.  That's a lot!  Excessive, actually.  To those of you professional drywallers, I know, I am not doing this as efficiently as possible.  I felt like I was icing a wedding cake, though.  I've got some serious sanding ahead of me:





No comments:

Post a Comment